Wednesday, August 4, 2010

To a Mouse

Jill: I reserved a hotel room for us three weeks ago, but now the clerk says he has no record of our reservation. So much for our fun weekend in the city.

Jane: Well, these things happen. The best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray. I had all the arrangements made for my party, and then the guest of honor got sick and I had to call the whole thing off. The best-laid schemes of mice and men gang aft a-gley. If a little rain can ruin the best-laid plans of mice and men, think what an earthquake might do!

From Robert Burns' poem "To a Mouse"

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray -- Sometimes even the best laid plans turn out to be just wishful thinking, no matter how well thought out they were. I'm getting nothing done this week.

I had plans to re-create a website for a local Christian greeting card company this week. I'm really anxious to get it finished, and I'm sure the customer is as well.  My new computer arrived Monday, and though I knew it would take a few hours to re-install my necessary software (Office, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Filezilla, etc), I didn't expect it to take over two days - but it did, inexplicably.

Then yesterday I noticed that the email addresses for one of my newest web clients weren't being routed properly, so the client wasn't receiving emails from visitors. To make a long story short, the previous webmaster had set up the domain forwarding incorrectly, and in order to fix it, I had to reset some settings on the server. As a result the site would be down for 12-24 hours while the DNS propagated (sorry for the tech language).

Well, 24 hours later, the site was still down. I spent all day working on fixing it today. In the process, I've neglected my other web clients. I hate days like this. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment